Ashlyns is working to prepare students for a modern workplace and is embracing the ideology that technology is a key tool to enhance learning.
Google has spent the last few years designing a unique type of device that provides a smooth transition from the home to the classroom. Chromebooks allow students to have a standardised learning experience and make use of applications chosen by their teachers.
Chrome OS is a Cloud-based system which makes use of tailored tools, such as Google Classroom, to ensure students get the best experience possible.
The benefits of a one-to-one device (Chromebook) for your child include:
- access to a greater variety of resources in the classroom
- access to resources to support home-learning
- creating documents, sheets and slides
- safe and organised storage
- opportunities for engaging activities which include collaboration with other students and quizzes
- home-learning is recorded and accessed in one place, helping students to stay organised
- facility to track rewards and consequence points
- access to websites which will support research
- a platform from which to access personalised learning programmes such as books, apps and online resources
If you purchase a Chromebook for your child to use in school, it will need to be configured for the school’s network; this will incur a one-off fee (currently £46.80) per device to purchase a Chromebook licence. This can be paid via our online payment system, ParentPay.
Your child will bring their Chromebook into school at their own risk, and we strongly recommend that you purchase insurance to cover it whilst in school, and for the journey to and from school.
If you choose not to buy a Chromebook, your child will be able to collect a loan device for their learning before lessons start each day; the device must be returned to Student Reception at the end of each day.
Please note that only Chromebooks are compatible with our school network and may be used in school. Please do not purchase any other device for your child to use at Ashlyns, eg Windows laptop, Macbook, etc.