Working at Ashlyns
Thank you for your interest in working with us. Our school is a well resourced, exciting environment. Our systems provide flexible working and a truly collaborative culture.
- In our recent staff survey, 100% of Teaching Staff are proud to work at Ashlyns School and of what the school does
- Strong track record of staff development, annual staff conference and regular programme of leadership opportunities (for teaching and support staff)
- Strong leadership at all levels
- Supportive and ambitious Board of Governors
- Coaching programme and active Staff Wellbeing Team
- All staff are members of “Tooled Up Education” which provides exclusive resources, covering areas such as aspiration, resilience, mental health and behaviour
- Popular and oversubscribed school: “Pupils are incredibly proud of their school and clearly enjoy attending” (Ofsted 2018)
- Excellent behaviour for learning: “Pupils work diligently, reflectively and with enthusiasm. Teachers consistently create and sustain trusting relationships” (Ofsted 2018)
- Thriving Student Leadership and Ambassador Programme, including Equality, Environment and Extra Curricular – Sports Leadership Academy of the Year
- Superb extra curricular opportunities including World Challenge, Duke of Edinburgh, music productions and trips abroad (skiiing, MFL, sports and music)
- A magnificent 40 acre site blending impressive Georgian style buildings with modern development
- Lovely staff accommodation available for colleagues moving to the area, subject to availability, in our on-site lodges
- KS4: 91% students achieved grades 9 – 4 in English (national 77%) (2022)
- KS4: 82% students achieved grades 9 – 4 in Maths (national 75%) (2022)
- KS5: 77% of A Level entries graded A* to B (2022)
- KS5: 94% of applicants secured a place at their first or second choice University (Summer 2022)
Ashlyns School is committed to safeguarding children and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All successful candidates will be subject to an Enhanced Criminal Records Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service, along with other relevant employment checks, including overseas criminal background checks, where applicable. All new employees and volunteers will be required to undertake safeguarding training on induction which will be updated regularly in line with statutory guidance.
Equal Opportunities Commitment
As an equal opportunities employer, Ashlyns School is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership.
We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join Ashlyns School. We operate an anonymised shortlisting process.
As well as joining an experienced and close-knit team, there are other benefits that come with working at Ashlyns:
- Free use of on-site gym with weekly staff fitness sessions
- Wellbeing support (free access to mental health support, physiotherapy etc.)
- Free annual flu jab
- Dedicated and active Staff Wellbeing/Social Team (with leadership focus on teacher workload and a coaching programme)
- Excellent staff facilities (ample on-site parking, large staff room, departmental offices)
- Staff Occasional Day (school usually schedules this annually)
- London fringe allowance payscale
- Paid lunch duty available plus lunch allowance
- Herts Reward Scheme (savings at supermarkets, on leisure activities etc.)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Children of Staff Admission Rule
- A talented team of support staff who provide expert, whole school support (including Administrators, Teaching Assistants, Premises Staff, Mentors and Technicians)
Living in the Area
Ashlyns School is located on the edge of the market town of Berkhamsted in south west Hertfordshire, recently named The Sunday Times’ best place to live in the south east of England. Berkhamsted is surrounded by Chiltern countryside, is within easy reach of London (30 minutes to Euston by rail) and has great transport links with M25, M1 and A41.
We have lovely staff accommodation for colleagues moving to the area, subject to availability, in our on-site lodges. Berkhamsted is easily commutable from many nearby towns including Aylesbury, Hemel Hempstead, Luton, St Albans and Watford.