Behaviour & Expectations
All members of our community are expected to take personal responsibility for their behaviour and attitude to others. Ashlyns’ aim is to create a positive learning environment throughout the school. All students and staff have the right to feel safe and to flourish at all times in school.
High standards of behaviour lie at the heart of any successful school: they enable students to make the best possible progress in all aspects of their school life and work, and staff to be able to teach and promote good learning without undue interruption. At Ashlyns, our Behaviour Policy promotes excellent behaviour for learning, so that students learn to value their own and others’ learning and have a positive approach towards it; our approach is grounded in the principle of mutual respect between staff, students and parents/carers.
The Behaviour Policy is built upon:
- Rewards – positive behaviour for learning is acknowledged, promoted and rewarded
- Consequences – there are clearly-signposted consequences for poor behaviour, allowing students to take responsibility for their actions
- The school adopts a ‘Growth Mindset’ attitude, where students are expected to reflect on and value their mistakes as a learning opportunity and move forward from them
- The points above are integrated into the School wide Steps approach where we encourage and support students to develop their internal discipline in order to take greater ownership of their behaviour
Our core values are based on our motto ‘ASPIRE’, which is at the heart of everything we do. Our expectation is for everyone in our community to behave with respect and courtesy towards each other.
Our Community Expectations have been devised by students to remind us of what is expected of us all:
- I take pride in myself and aspire to do my best
- I show respect to others by being polite and kind
- I work to the best of my ability, even when I find the work challenging
- I understand that I represent the school and I dress and behave accordingly
- I show that I am prepared to learn by bringing the correct equipment/kit and actively taking part in all areas of school life
- I do what is asked of me, the first time I am asked
- I arrive where I should be on time and am always in the right place
- I celebrate my own successes and the successes of others
- I do not use language that is rude or offensive
- I am proud of our school and I help to look after the school environment
Code of Conduct
We should all act and behave in a way that encourages and supports learning.
We should be courteous, kind and show respect and generosity of spirit by listening, valuing and encouraging others. We should look for the good in people.
We should be ready for learning, join in activities both inside and outside the classroom and be prepared to cooperate with others.
We should respect others, their property and the environment and accept the consequences of our actions.