Job Description: Science Technician
|Title of post||Science Technician – (term time only)|
|Grade (including allowances)||H3 + fringe allowance|
|Reporting to||Senior Science Technician|
|Team members:||Science Technicians|
|Time/Hours||20 hours per week, term time only|
|General Overview||To ensure the efficient preparation and organisation of equipment for science lessons.|
Personal and professional standards
- The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Post holders are subject to an enhanced DBS check.
- Support the aims and ethos of the school as defined in the school prospectus
- To set a good example in terms of professional dress and appearance, punctuality and attendance
- Take responsibility for personal development making full use of the school’s professional development opportunities and training
- To attend team and staff meetings as appropriate, contributing actively whenever possible
- To provide a courteous, prompt and polite service to all members of the school’s community including governors, parents, students, all staff, contractors and suppliers and other visitors
- To actively contribute to the school’s mission statement by forming positive relationships within the school community and working collaboratively and in good humour with other colleagues as appropriate or when directed
- Be aware and comply with all relevant policies and procedures within the school, particularly those relating to child protection, equality, health and safety and confidentiality.
- It is the duty of all colleagues to report breaches of school policies or procedures to the Head teacher
Duties specific to the postholder
- To ensure the efficient preparation and organisation of equipment for lessons.
- To ensure equipment and laboratories are cleaned after each lesson and any chemical spillage which occurs.
- To maintain a clean and tidy preparation room and store area.
- To ensure safe storage and use of laboratory equipment and chemicals, maintaining lists of preparation room stocks.
- To provide technical and practical support to teaching staff (including in lessons where appropriate) and also to assist supply teachers when necessary with cover work.
- To liaise with other learning areas and schools regarding the use of additional or specialist equipment within specific areas.
- To liaise with the Senior Science Technician on stock levels and of chemicals/equipment needed and purchase consumables when necessary.
- To liaise with maintenance staff regarding any gas/electrical/water issues which may occur within a specific area.
- To ensure the application of Health and Safety procedures, following guidance from CLEAPSS and to raise awareness of Health and Safety issues specifically in relation to laboratories and prep rooms. Disseminate guidance to Science staff.
- To complete and maintain Health and Safety training requirements for Manual Handling, Working at Heights etc. and implement procedures accordingly.
- To maintain stocks of plants and small animal species when needed.
- To carry out administrative duties as required by the Head of Science/Senior Technician.
Knowledge, Skills and Personal Attributes
- Ability and willingness to work in all three science subject areas.
- Qualifications or experience in relevant discipline.
- An ability to use relevant equipment and technology to an appropriate level.
- Have good numeracy and literacy skills.
- Present a courteous and friendly manner to all visitors to the school, having due regard to “customer service best practice” attributes.
- Ability to relate well to students and adults.
This post is classed as having a high degree of contact with children or vulnerable adults and is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. An enhanced disclosure will be sought through the DBS as part of Hertfordshire County Council’s pre-employment checks.
Please note that additional information referring to the Disclosure and Barring Service is in the guidance notes to the application form. If you are invited to an interview you will receive more information.
This role description may be modified by the Headteacher to reflect or anticipate changes that are commensurate with the salary and role title and improvement and expansion plans of the school.
This role description will be reviewed every 3 years or sooner, if required.